Monday 3 March 2014

Green Man Ultra - Lessons learned.

Last night I came back from Bristol having completed the Green Man ultramarathon. This is a 46 mile race around the Community Forest PAth which circumnavigates Bristol. The run itself was not challenging in terms of terrain (mostly flat, quite a bit of mud but also quite a bit of tarmac paths), but rather navigation as the path is largly unmarked and follows a seemingly random route across fields, through housing estates, along river banks and roads. I learned several important lessons this weekend;

1. Tapering does make a difference, and 3 intense speedwork sessions in the week leading up to an ultra is not a smart idea!

2. You have to run an ultra at your own pace. Even if you know you would do a similar overall time to another runner, that doesn't mean you can match their pace for the entire distance. Some start fast then slow down, some keep a steady rhythm throughout, some start slow then speed up. 

3. If you want to run an unmarked route, you have to know it. Navigation whilst running is frustrating, very difficult and breaks your running rhythm

I started the run much faster than I would normally set out. I was a little nervous as I hadn't run over 35 miles since the Cotswold Century last september and really wanted to keep a steady pace to start. Most of my good runs I've started at the back of the pack, then I gradually end up overtaking people as they slow down and I keep on going. My strength is definately endurance rather than speed. In this case though my aim was to keep up with fellow MCUT member Stuart, who knew the route. However, after checkpoint 2 the initial burst of speed on top of legs aching from lack of tapering was taking its toll on me and I lost him after a couple of turns. I was now at the mercy of my own navigation, which failed pretty quickly despite having GPS and OS maps of the route. My only solution was to wait for the group behind me to catch up, as I knew the girl in that group had run the route before. The problem here was that her pace was much slower than my normal pace, and I would keep settling into a rhythm, only to pull away from her, have to stop and wait for her to catch up as I had no idea where I was going! A few times I tried to carry on but would end up missing a turn and having to backtrack. Frustrating to say the least!

Between checkpoint 4 and the finish we were caught up from behind by another lass who also knew the route. She was obviously a 'start slow and speed up' runner, as she was doing a fairly brisk pace, and so I hooked up with her. My dilema now was that I really wanted to finish in first place, but again had to rely on this lass for her knowledge of the route. However when we got to Clifton I knew the last 3 miles and having spent most of the race running much slower than normal I had quite a bit left in my tank, so I picked up my pace and pulled away from her. I felt a bit guilty doing this, as if I hadn't followed her, and indeed the lass behind (who came in 10 minutes behind us in the end) I would never have completed the run as I would have got cocmpletely lost. 


In the end I came in 2nd overall, 1st female (by only 1 minute on the girl behind me). The race finish was superb, with free hot food, sports massage, fantastic finishers goodie bag, and my husband and father waiting to take me to the pub! But overall I didn't enjoy this race, as I didn't run under my own steam, having to rely on others around me for route knowledge and as a result completely breaking with my normal race rhythm. 

So. Lessons learned. And I am now officially a Woodwose (http://gaveller.wordpress.com/about/) and hopefully a know myself a little better. 
However, I now know the route, and so I will be back next year to get the sub 7hr 30 time I was aiming for!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to of come off lightly there :-) at least i made my mistakes at the start and not at a critical point again. Sorry Sarah, well done on a much fought for win. Great to meet you, Jason and Dad. Take Care, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete